As our customers would attest, the Land’s Edge Foundation Safety Management System is extremely successful and we like to think it is equal to, if not the best in the industry. Never resting on our laurels however we looked around for the most in depth and professional safety auditing process we could find – we found it in New Zealand.
Developed in conjunction with both the NZ outdoor industry and NZ government, the auditing process reviewed all our risk and safety management documentation against the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) 21101 Adventure Tourism; we passed with flying colours. It took hard work, some deep thinking and a few refinements to our systems and we now have an updated Safety Management System and Safety Management Plan that will form the foundation of our practice for years to come.
Land’s Edge Foundation’s (LEF) Safety Management System is in place for every program and every activity, for adherence by LEF staff and participants at all levels and at all times. All safety management documentation is reviewed annually internally and externally by an independent auditor every three years.
The documentation includes:
- LEF Safety Management Plan
- LEF Coordinator and Group Leader Standard Operating Procedures
- LEF Activity-Specific Standard Operating Procedures
- LEF Activity-Specific Risk Management Matrix
- LEF Activity-Specific Area Assessment Documentation
- LEF Activity-Specific Lead Guide and Instructor Briefing Checklists
- LEF Safe Camping Checklist
- LEF Weather Trigger Points
- LEF Child Protection and Safety Policy
- LEF Emergency Management Plan
- LEF Chowder Bay Emergency Evacuation Procedure